Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Let's Get This Out in the Open

As usual, I am having dinner with my best friend Jenn tonight and we are exchanging stories of our day. We usually have some pretty funny stories of people we have run into or things we have seen while we are out and about.

So before I get into the story that she shared with me, I have a confession to make.

I. Am. A. Twilight Fan.

Ok, before you sigh and roll your eyes at me. Let me explain myself.

I am a Twilight fan, which automatically put me in the same category as squeeling twelve year old girls. Do they exist? Yes. Am I one of them? No. Absolutely not.

I like Twilight for many reasons. I like how the books are in first person perspective. I love the idea that chilvary still exists. I think I'll save the explanation for this for later entries. I fell in love with the characters quite easily, or they annoyed me in the same light. They evoked emotions from me, and I had never had a book do that to me before. I don't believe that I'm a crazed fan. I will admit that I check Twilight fan sites, read fanfiction, and I attended the Twilight conference held in Dallas, TX a couple of weeks ago. But why should I be judged because of this? Because it's not the "cool" thing to do? What is this, middle school? Are you kidding me? Forgive me if I begin to vent. But I've been dealing with this judgment for the past year and I just need to get it off my chest.

So, back to the story that Jenn told me. She tells me that while she was in class today she overheard a conversation about Twilight. I'll give these people the names of Guy and Girl. Fair enough. So, Guy asked Girl "have you read Twilight?" and she replied, "yes." Guy asked Girl what her opinion was and she says that she hated the writing. Which is all fine and good. I respect her opinion. But she then starts to compare Twilight to Harry Potter.....UGH! I am SO sick of this comparison. I can list right now the similarities of Twilight and Harry Potter. 1) Young adult novel. 2) Fantasy. 3) Massive fan base. That's it! So, why do people continue to insist on comparing the writing styles, characters, plots, etc.? I just don't understand it. I am a bigger fan of Twilight than I am of Harry Potter [although I love both] for my own reasons. But I definately don't compare the two, because they just don't compare! The funny thing is that Guy admitted that he had only read the first three chapters of Twilight. So why does he even get an opinion? He didn't even give them a fair chance. If I were to talk to someone who had read all four of the books and they admitted to disliking them I would respect their thoughts and actually applaud them for sticking through all of the books.

All in all, I don't think that I should be ashamed of Twilight. Just like others shouldn't be ashamed for liking to keep up with football stats...or say, writing blogs.

I think in future blogs I might dive into some topics that can be brought out of Twilight. I'm excited! Don't judge me.

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I love Harry Potter and I've read Twilight. To be perfectly honest, I really liked Twilight until two very significant things happened. 1. Breaking Dawn was published and 2. People continued to compare it to Harry Potter.

    I think I will write a response blog to this on Thursday. Though, I do want to make it perfectly clear that I think it's cool you like Twilight. I am excited when people find passion within positive outlets. I am passionate about Harry Potter and I hate it when people judge me. It's never cool to judge anyone based on a personal opinion or belief. This "guy" and "girl" can go suck it!

    ReplyDelete